Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Indroduction to ME

I grew up in a small town in central Kansas. My father worked for the City so everyone knew everyone else. I've been friends with some of the same people since I could walk. We played outside running around the neighborhoods til the street lights came on. Sleep overs, BBQ's, parades,block parties were just some of the activities happening each summer. Hours spent at the pool cooling off. Winter came and when it snowed the lake dam became the place to be. Trudging up to the top with our sleds or our cardboard boxes for those mere seconds of rushing wind as we sped head first, belly down, all the way to the bottom ready to trudge right back up again. It was a time when things were easier, friendships were forged in the pricking of a finger, deals made by a pinky swear. We were cool.

I'm now grown, married with children of my own, now two grandchildren. My kids have gone to the same schools I did, My friends have kids and most of them have grown up knowing my kids. The cycle continues year after year. The only difference being technology, trends, new arrivals. As time goes by I see more and more new faces in my town and less of the older ones. I have begun to reflect more, to look back at the past, remember what was. Is this how it starts? That feeling of time getting away from me?

I had a name once. Everyone knew it, it meant something. Now I'm called Mom or Nannie. It is beautiful, but once in a while Id like my name back.

No comments:

Post a Comment